One of the most commonly raised questions in accessing deep web is regarding whether to use TOR or a VPN to help protect your privacy online. This guide provides you a detailed comparison between these two technologies and helps you understand which one to use and what are the pros and cons of using each one of them.
How TOR works?
TOR is specialized software used to provide anonymity while accessing deep web sites. TOR is a short form of The Onion Router and used to provide multiple layers of security while your data is routed on the internet. TOR is primarily used to keep the source location and identity hidden while data is transferred between the computer and websites that you want to visit.
Benefits of using TOR
- TOR works as a distributed network and it is run by different volunteers in the open source market and therefore the usage of TOR is autonomous and not controlled by any government or an organization to shut its usage.
- Routing method used by router keeps your IP address hidden as you access through the websites on the deep web.
- TOR is free to use in terms of software and network and allows you to access geographically restricted websites and content.
Disadvantages of using TOR
- TOR is slower in terms of usage over the network. This is because of the reason that data is routed through multiple relays in the network and each of the hops is having varying bandwidth, therefore, this really adds on to the system latency and throughput. Slow relays in the route can make it difficult to give you faster access and therefore it is not a good choice when you want to access high-quality streaming videos and even requires high-speed connection
- Spying on TOR is becoming a common way to track or trace network. Even though TOR provides a lot of hidden anonymous usage, it is not impossible to track it. Traffic at the exit node can be traced if it is unencrypted and there are many government organizations or hacking sites which are keeping a check on usage of TOR and what sort of data traffic is networked through it since it is not over HTTPS connection.
- TOR has not supported software since it is not accountable to any specific organization. Since it is freeware, there are certain limitations to its usage and requires complex coding to configure it.
- TOR is not used for sending extremely sensitive information since it is possible to mark it for surveillance. Opening documents accessed or downloaded through TOR can put your system at risk of revealing IP address. TOR can be dangerous and get you into trouble if you use it for accessing the dark web.
How VPN works?
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and it is a service that allows you to borrow the IP address of the VPN. The connection between the user computer and the VPN server is encrypted and acts on behalf of your computer when you are online. VPN is more secure compared to the proxy server because of the data encryption and also used for providing log browsing history. VPN can be used to mask your physical location and it can be used to provide a set up across geographical content restrictions.
Advantages of using VPN
- VPN is faster compared to TOR and gives you desired destination such as website, online services, etc. and faster compared to the several TOR nodes and can be used to provide better flexibility.
- VPN’s are available for free and usually supported by advertisements. Funding from paid membership provides the highest possible availability. VPN is used to protect internet connectivity and used with kill switch protection from any accidental data leakage.VPN also allows you to access geographically restricted websites and content.
The disadvantage of using VPN
VPN providers can log your browsing history and provides additional features by getting rid of ads and monthly cost.
The Last Words
Both TOR and VPN are used to access the deep web and commonly used techniques. The bottom line of both is that you can choose a solution that depends on your solution. TOR is best for use when you are relying on keeping your network anonymous. However, keeping your information ultra-sensitive you need to have a VPN installed. It is important to set up the right process and infrastructure to protect themselves from surveillance of the exit node.
VPN is a better solution for the majority of people accessing the deep web and it provides the great balance when it comes to ease of usage, privacy and browsing speed. It also protects all the online connections on your computer and there is no need for an additional set up. A choice between TOR and VPN depends on what type of connectivity you want to maintain.